Once a small farmstead, Longlevens is now a thriving residential area of Gloucester which has maintained its community spirit. Its proximity to both Gloucester and Cheltenham, together with the excellent array of local amenities on offer, continue to make Longlevens a popular place to live.
Schools in Longlevens
The area is well served with good infant/junior schools and ‘Outstanding’ Ofsted-rated Sir Thomas Rich’s Grammar School. The Milestone School on Longford Lane is also rated ‘Outstanding’ and is for pupils with special needs aged 3-16. Further education is available at nearby Gloucester College. The University of Gloucestershire’s Oxstalls campus is also located in Longlevens. Use our Locrating tool on the Property Details page to search for schools in your preferred location now.
Things of Interest in Longlevens
There are plenty of local shops in Longlevens including supermarkets, a pharmacy, a hairdresser’s and various eateries. The area also benefits from amenities such as two GP surgeries, a library and a free monthly community cinema.
For rugby fans, Longlevens RFC is a well respected, inclusive club at the heart of the Longlevens community and The Property Centre is proud to be its main sponsor. With a successful First team in the Gloucester Premier coached by All Black, John Afoa, and British Lion, James Hook, a second team competing in Gloucester & District 1 Reserve League, a Colts team for players aged 17-19 and younger teams below, the Club caters for everyone. The mini-age and junior section of the Club is especially impressive as it represents every youth age group - from the Under 7s right up to the Under 17s, with over 300 children playing on the Longford Lane pitches on Sunday mornings. They’re also lucky enough to be coached by some great ex-Gloucester players, namely Pete Glanville, Richard Ward and Chris and Lee Fortey.
For those keener on football, Longlevens AFC was formed in 1954, joining the Northern Senior League during 1968/1969 season and in which it's been present ever since.
Whether you’re aspiring to be the next Andy Murray or you just want a fun game with some friends, the tennis centre at nearby Oxstalls offers 6 indoor and 4 outdoor tennis courts, meaning you can get a game whatever the weather! The courts are open to everyone on a pay and play basis, and equipment can be hired on site.
Travel In and Around Longlevens
The area has good links to both the M5 and A40 and easy access to two train stations, Gloucester (4.1miles) and Cheltenham Spa (4.8miles). Both have regular services to London, Bristol, Birmingham and Cardiff. Gloucestershire Airport, (known locally as Staverton) is also nearby.
Places to Explore in Longlevens
- Longlevens Recreation Ground is a large playing field, with grass football and rugby pitches and pavilions, multi-use games area and play area.
- Tenpin bowling can be enjoyed locally, with 26 modern fully computerised lanes, American and English pool tables and additional amusement arcades all catering for a fun family day out.
- GL1 is Gloucester's own leisure centre offering a variety of activities for young and old, from swimming for the whole family to indoor sports of all sorts.
- Located in a Georgian mansion in Twigworth near Longlevens, Nature in Art is a gallery & museum dedicated to art inspired by the natural world and houses a growing collection. With a licensed coffee shop serving meals, plus gardens, free parking and a beautiful setting, it’s a wonderful place to visit and the centre also runs Children’s Activity Days during the school holidays.
Did You Know…?
- Gloucester and Cheltenham Stadium was a greyhound racing stadium situated in Longlevens. It opened in July 1933 and closed in 1983. The Greyhound Inn, built in 1985, and the Greyhound Gardens road mark the site today.
- It is possible that Longlevens was named after a row of eleven houses with long gardens (Long-Elevens).
As Longlevens’ Top-Selling Agent, we have a love and in-depth knowledge of the local area and are happy to share this with you. Whether you’re looking to buy or rent, sell or let a property in and around Longlevens, contact our friendly team today.